Simon Hill’s Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Total: 848 Calories (424 Calories Per Serve)
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot, diced
1 can (240g) of no-salt added lentils
2 cups water
0.5 cup frozen/canned peas
500g of white/golden potatoes
½ cup unsweetened almond milk (add more as needed)
1-2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees and prepare a small/medium oven-safe baking dish.
- Start by making the potatoes. Chop the golden potatoes in 1” slices and place in a pot with enough water to cover them. Add salt and bring the water to boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Next, make the lentil mix. Add diced onion and garlic with one tbsp of water to a large pan over medium heat. Cook until browned. Add the carrots, lentils and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and add in the peas. Cook until the sauce is not too runny, and the peas have warmed.
- Once the potatoes have cooked, drain thoroughly. Place in a food processor or use a potato masher to mash the potatoes, and add the olive oil, almond milk, parsley and salt and pepper. Mix until properly combined and set aside.
- When the lentil sauce has finished cooking, transfer it to a baking dish. Cover the lentil sauce with the mashed potatoes and spread them evenly. Sprinkle some rosemary, salt and pepper on top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is crispy and browned. Let cool and then serve.