Simon Hill’s Plant Proof Salad Bowl with Baked Tempeh Falafel
Total: 559 Calories
Bowl Base Ingredients:
½ cup/3.4 oz/100g cooked quinoa (110)
½ medium sweet potato (50)
½ can chickpeas, drained (75)
2 spring onions, chopped
¼ avocado (56)
½ cup/0.4oz/11g Kale (15)
1 tbsp/0.4 oz Flaxseeds (whole or ground) (40)
5 whole Brussel Sprouts
Baked Tempeh Falafel Ingredients:
150g/5.3 oz tempeh (180 cal)
2 tbsp/0.2 oz cup chopped cilantro
2 tbsp/0.2 oz chopped parsley
1/2 onion diced (20 cal)
1.5 garlic cloves chopped
½ tsp/1g cumin
½ tsp/1g ground coriander
- Start by making the falafels and baking the sweet potato and brussel sprouts.
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C (350 °F). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Put all ingredients for the falafel in a food processor and pulse until a dough starts forming.
- Shape falafels and place on baking tray.
- Cut the sweet potato into wedges and place on the baking tray next to the falafel. Do the same for the brussel sprouts.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until falafels are firm and sweet potatoes are tender. Note that the sweet potato will probably take longer.
- Next, make the quinoa according to packet instructions.
- In the meantime, add the chopped kale to a pan on medium heat, sprinkle the garlic powder and cook until slightly wilted. Add the chickpeas to the pan to make them warm.
- You are now ready to build your bowl. Add the cooked quinoa to a bowl, and top with the tossed kale, avocado, chickpeas, sweet potato and tempeh falafels. Sprinkle the spring onions on top and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with flaxseeds and some squeezed lemon juice over the top and serve!